Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What you put into it

Perhaps my most powerful memory of celebrating Holy Communion took place when I had something very specific I was praying for.

I was instructed to examine myself and decide what I needed to turn over to God.  At the time, I was losing my job as a counselor and discerning a call to the full-time ministry.  And I was a bundle of nerves.

So as I lifted the sacramental bread into the air, I prayed one simple word.  "Anxiety."

And I experienced the healing of Christ in a way I never had before.  It wasn't immediate, but over the course of the day I felt my anxiety fading away, replaced by an assurance that whatever I was going through, I wasn't going through it alone.

As I reflect on that day and that moment, I realize that what I got out of the worship experience was directly related to what I put into it.

How do you put more into your experience of worship?

No comments:

Post a Comment