Monday, February 4, 2013

Preparing for Lent, pt. 1 - Prayers

When you join the United Methodist Church, you take a membership vow to support the church with your prayers, presence, gifts, service, and witness.  For Lent, I'll be preaching a series on our United Methodist membership vows.
Let's reflect on prayer for a minute.

If I were to ask about our prayer lives candidly and we were all to answer honestly, I wonder what our answers might sound like. Maybe something like these?  Feel free to respond in the comments below.


  • "I hardly pray at all.  I know I should, but I forget.  And I feel guilty about it."  
  • "I pray some, but mostly when I'm worried or after I've done something I know is wrong." 
  • "I pray some every day, but I sometimes wonder if anyone hears it or if it really matters."
  • "I pray some every day, but it feels more like an obligation than a devotion. I pray because I should, not because I really want to." 
  • "I have a hard time praying.  When I pray, I come face to face with my sins and flaws, and it scares/hurts me."
  • "I have a hard time praying because if God really knew me, God would be angry with me and might not love me anymore." 
  • "My prayer life is good but not great, and I'd like to improve it." 
  • "I'm completely happy with my prayer life."
  • "For me, a day without praying is like a day without breathing.  I need it like I need food, water, and shelter."  
  • "I'm so in love with Jesus that I can't NOT pray." 
  • My answer to this question changes depending on what day it is.  
Let's take a good look at our prayer lives this Lent and see if we can fortify our prayer lives to build up our relationships with God, the church, the world and ourselves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment