Monday, February 18, 2013

An Ash Wedensday Service Confession

As we gathered to begin our Ash Wednesday service, I was concerned.

I had carefully, painstakingly prepared the service.  I created the bulletin from scratch.  I incorporated elements from different official United Methodist resources and adapted them for our church.  I had prepared the ashes, moistening them with anointing oil and placing them in a little pot handcrafted by my friend and colleague Christine.  The bread and juice were ready for communion.  I filled the altar candles with oil and changed the paraments from white to purple.

And I will confess: I was discouraged a little when I saw how few people had shown up for the service.

But I knew I had prepared a good service.  I knew there would be sacred space where the Holy God could be encountered.  I trusted in my own craftsmanship with liturgy.  I trusted that the Holy Spirit would show up.  I knew I had to pour my heart and soul into the service.

And I knew that if the service turned out as special as I hoped, those who gathered would be blessed.  I knew that if the service turned out wonderful, those who gathered would tell others, "You missed it!  It was great!"

I also knew that if I didn't give it my all, it had the potential to be a flop.

So I put my heart and soul into the service.  I said a little prayer inviting God to be in our worship space with us.

And you know what?

It was a wonderful service. If you weren't there, you missed it.  The sanctuary was filled with love, grace and Spirit.  God showed up in a big way.

And as I came home from the church, I was walking on cloud nine.  Ash Wednesday service was a winner.

And I learned my lesson.  No matter how many or how few of us gather to worship, God will still be there in a big way if we invite him in and make room for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment